Tuesday, January 26, 2010

It's Produce Day Today


Look at this amazing basket of fresh locally grown produce; oh and it is all organic. This is week two of purchasing local organic produce from our local farmers. I love the surprise and challenge of receiving some vegetables that I might not normally buy at the market. I also like that the produce we receive is only what is in season now. Sometimes we become so spoiled with our markets and imports form other countries that we forget about seasonal crops. Last Saturday I was watching the Barefoot Contessa on Food Network and guess what she was doing??? She was doing a whole show her receiving her local fresh produce box too. I loved it. She took it as a challenge to see if she could use up everything in her box just like we are doing. So Cool!!!
So this week received the basics, red potatoes, onions, garlic, and carrots; we also received green cabbage, fuji apples, and rainbow kale. Now I'm not sure about the rainbow kale since I have never bought or cooked with this one before but the leaves have pretty red and yellow veins.
If anyone has any good suggestions or recipes for any of these veggies I would love to hear about them.
Thanks for Popping By!

No comments: