Saturday, May 5, 2007

Relay For Life Weekend


Happy Cinco de Mayo to everyone. This weekend in Fresno, CA it's Relay For Life. For those who don't know what Relay is, it's a 24-hour walk/run continuous relay to raise money for cancer research. My mom's best friend is one of the chairpersons this year and a cancer survivor herself. We also lost my dad to cancer a few years ago so this event is personal for our family too. So, since my mom is participating in this event, so are her children whether they wanted to or not. One of the things my mom was responsible for was collecting donations for the survivor's tent. Naturally as a Stampin Up demo I was one of the first ones on her list. This is my donation to the event. I realized I still had one of the cancer fund raiser stamp sets SU sold about two years ago, so what could be more appropriate as the set. I added a pink and lavender stampin spot as these are the cancer colors, some pink, white, and lavender cardstock, and a Stampin Techniques booklet. I hope the recipient likes this gift.
This event is fun to see. there are many teams not only completing laps, but they have other competitions too. There will be a parade later this afternoon as one of the laps, complete with competition for the best floats and costumes. The local high school teams really get into the spirit competition. Tonight is the really moving part of the event, the lighting of the luminaries that individuals have purchased in memory of a lost loved one. I hope to have a good picture to post from tonight's event.
Well, I'm off to run errands for my mom and pick up the forgotten supplies she just remembered this morning. So with shopping list in hand, off I go.

2 comments:

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Just wanted to let you know I just added your blog link to the main list over at Splitcoastbloggers. Happy Blogging!

-Julee

Stamingprincess said...

Thanks for doing this relay,....my mom died last year from Breast Cancer that had metastasized to her brain.

I miss her so much...
Deb
WA. State